Social Media

January 4, 2010

The Unkissed Frog

On my bed in my room, I find myself scrutinising my favourite four walls. Rectangularly yellow, these walls have provided me my own personal fortress of solitude. Throughout the years, just like old wine improving with age, my box-forming walls accumulated character, knowledge and any other independent thoughtful ability that was thrown their way.

This in-depth wall scrutiny causes my eyes to fall on the frog. Yes, the frog. The green, four-legged amphibian commonly known as the frog. There is nothing extraordinary about this particular frog. He is just like any other frog, one who would never in a million years stand out from the crowd. Except he did. But only to her. And so she picked him and they danced the mambo jambo, living together happily ever after. Or so the story is told.

I grew up believing the story, thinking that on my next visit to our non-existent local lakes, I will find my very own frog. Or rather that he'll find me. To my bewilderment, we never did find each other. With mixed feelings welling up inside me, I started questioning the truth behind this sort of fairytale, only to find out that the answers to the questions I was asking were too much for me and my small colourful world to handle. And so, somehow still hopeful, I turned to science for better answers.

'Frogs are on the brink of extinction', scientific research articles claim (many gold stars for scientists). I cannot express in words the relief I felt when I read this valuable piece of information. My beliefs were restored for good and nothing and no one will ever take them away from me again.

There is however one question I still ponder upon sometimes .. if we know that frogs are becoming extinct, why is it that we keep on pursuing them instead of focusing our attention to other equally capable creatures, ones who are not on the verge of perishing? Why?

P.S. I advise you to read my blogs with a pinch of salt. Thank you.