Social Media

June 25, 2013

Tomorrow, When You Are Young

I looked at you and I saw it, that spark with which you used to decorate the silly little things in life. I saw it. I saw it because I wanted to see it not because it was there. I saw it because you wanted me to see it. And then I asked you what it is you really wanted because I honestly couldn't figure it out. You smiled, pushing the tiny freckles on your cheeks closer together, then whispered "I don't know".

But you knew. Of course you knew. You knew how much I hate those three tiny words put together, in a rush, without any sort of meaning whatsoever. And it's not only that, it's that you didn't have the decency to follow them by any of the sheer volume of words that exist in the English dictionary. Because if you think about it, when they asked Einstein why the apple fell from the tree, when they asked Galileo why the earth revolves around the sun, neither one of them said "I don't know". They used a dictionary and came up with a much better explanation. It's all good though. I get it, or at least I'm trying to. You're no Einstein and you're no Galileo. You're just someone who's still trying to figure it out.

And you should do that. Because truth of the matter is, figuring things out is not easy, or as easy as kids your age make it out to be. It's a process, and like most processes, it takes time. But then again, time is relative, and no matter how much you try to get a hold of it, sometimes you just can't, which is, incidentally, another word I despise. Still, I understand that there are moments in life where "can't" and "I don't know" make more sense than any other lie you try to make yourself swallow. Which is why you should know this. I lied when I said I couldn't give you an answer to that question you so desperately wanted an answer for.

I knew the answer. I just didn't know if you were ready for it. But now, now I think you are. "Tomorrow, when you are young."